Atopic dermatitis (eczema) is a condition that causes the skin to turn red and become itchy. This condition is common in children but can occur to anyone regardless of age. The condition is chronic and tends to flare from time to time. That is why you should find a reliable treatment to manage this condition. Emu oil has proven to be one of the most reliable remedies to help you improve skin appearance when you have atopic dermatitis.
The main treatment for eczema is the use of topical steroids. The issue, however, is that the use of topical steroids leads to various medical conditions such as red skin syndrome. It is for this reason that more people are opting for gentler treatments like emu oils to treat eczema and improve skin appearance.
What is red skin syndrome?
Red skin syndrome is a condition that results from the extended use of topical steroids. Over time, your steroid medication stops treating atopic dermatitis. This results in the skin turning red and having burns. Over time, rashes will appear. This worsening of the skin condition is not caused by eczema but by the topical steroids you have been using. The redness is caused by an increase in blood nitric oxide levels. The nitric oxide will widen blood vessels and increase the flow of blood to the skin. This causes the skin to turn red. Paired with rashes, this effect becomes red skin syndrome.
Other side effects of long-term use of topical steroids include:
- Gradual resistance to the treatment as the skin develops tolerance and becomes addicted to the steroid. Patients have to gradually increase the dose in order to see the positive results of topical steroids.
- Topical steroid withdrawal syndrome results from trying to stop using topical corticosteroids.
Symptoms of the red skin syndrome
- Worsening rash and an increase in skin redness
- Severe burn sensation on the skin
- Dry and crinkling skin
- Dark pigmentation or skin depigmentation
- Stripe-looking stretch marks on the skin. These indicate low zinc levels
- Pimple-like bumps, nodules, and pustules that look like acne
- Premature skin aging
- Hair loss/thinning
- Cracked skin more so on the hands, around the mouth, and lips
- Recurring skin infections
- Worsening itch
Using emu oil to treat red skin syndrome
While resuming the use of topical steroids will lessen the symptoms of red skin syndrome, the results will be detrimental in the long run. It can be harmful to stop using topical steroids on your own. Emu oil is the best solution for treating red skin syndrome because it is:
- Highly moisturizing
- Non-comedogenic (it doesn’t clog skin pores)
- Penetrates deep through all the skin layers
The only catch is not every emu oil product is good for you. To rip the most benefits, you have to make sure the emu oil product you are buying is made of 100% pure emu oil and comes from a reputable manufacturer. Emu oils improve skin appearance because they are rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids.