If you have done your research, you have found that one of the benefits of using emu oil is to help scars heal better. But how exactly does that happen? To understand this, you must look at how the oil works. Once it is applied to the skin, the oil works by moisturizing the skin and then triggering skin-cell regeneration. The moisturizing properties of the oil reduce itching and other forms of irritation. Skin cell regeneration, on the other hand, helps with bulking. It is also good to note that emu oils contain Terpines which have antiseptic properties. This helps prevent infections and speeds up the healing of wounds.
Other benefits of using emu oil
Being able to help scars heal better is not the only benefit of using emu oil. The oil has been around for thousands of years. It was used by the Australian indigenous people before it started being processed, packaged and shipped across the globe in the 21st century. Today, thanks to advancements in technology, the oil is refined and safer to use even by people with allergies. It emu oil offers innumerable benefits, some of which have been tested by researchers. Here are some of the key benefits of using the oil.
- Hydrates the skin: The oil is thick occlusive. As a result, it works great in preventing water loss. Your skin will remain happily hydrated even in the driest of climates.
- Helps wounds heal better: The antiseptic properties paired with pain relief properties and the ability of the oil to trigger skin-cell regeneration helps wounds heal better with minimal scarring.
- Anti-inflammatory: Emu oils have been found to have potent anti-inflammatory inflammatory activities that reduce the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines.
- Anti-oxidative properties: The oil has a rich supply of flavones, carotenoids, tocopherol, polyphenols and phospholipids. These are what give the oil its rich anti-oxidative properties.
- Offers arthritis relief: Arthritis is associated with inflammation. Emu oil has anti-inflammatory properties which help offer some relief to arthritis.
- Anti-aging: The use of emu oil can slow the formation of wrinkles. Studies have found that the regular use of the oil helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and dark circles around the eyes.
- Natural insect repellent: The terpenes contained in the oil serve as insect repellents.
How to get the most from the oil
Now that you understand the benefits of using the oil, it is time to learn how to get the best results from using it. The first thing you need to do is ensure you go for pure emu oil from a reputable manufacturer. Second, you need to use the oil frequently in the target area. To help scars heal better, you can even incorporate the oil in your moisturizing cream or oil. Use it regularly at least twice a day. You can speed up healing by supplementing the topical use of the oil by getting emu oil products you can take orally.