As the largest organ on the body, the skin has an incredible ability to expand and contract. However, despite its strength and elasticity, the skin’s tissues can get damage if it is stretched too fast or too far. This damage is what causes stretch marks. Up to 90% of women get stretch marks during pregnancy. Luckily, emu blue can be used to moisturize the skin and get rid of stretch marks.
What are stretch marks?
Before we can look at how emu blue helps improve the appearance of stretch marks, we first need to understand what stretch marks are and how they form.
Stretch marks are also referred to as striae distensae. They are basically scars that develop when the skin shrinks or stretches too quickly. The sudden changes cause the skin elastin and collagen to rupture. As they heal, stretch marks form. Initially, the stretch marks will appear to be purple, red, reddish-brown, dark brown or pink depending on a person’s complexion. Early stretch marks can also feel itchy and raised. Over time, the color will fade and the bands will sink beneath the skin. That is why you feel a slight depression when you run your finger over stretch marks.
The main causes of stretch marks are:
- Corticosteroid products used for treating conditions such as eczema
- Health conditions such as Marfan syndrome, Cushing’s syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos syndromes.
There are many treatments for stretch marks. The treatments can be performed by plastic surgeons and dermatologists. The type of treatment selected will depend on a person. The most common treatments include the following:
- Retin-A. This is a prescribed cream which rebuilds collagen and improves the appearance of stretch marks.
- Laser treatment or light therapy. Pulsed dye lasers and intense pulsed light improves the appearance of stretch marks by increasing collagen production.
- Platelet-rich plasma with ultrasound. This works by reviving the skin and boosting the production of collagen.
- Plastic surgery. This involves removing excess skin and tightening skin and skin tissues.
If you don’t have the budget for expensive treatments or need a non-invasive treatment, emu blue will be perfect for you. This is a product made using emu oil; an oil extracted from the fat of an emu. The oil is all naturally and penetrates deep through the skin. It is rich in essential fatty acids and very effective in reducing the appearance of stretch marks. Emu oil is very effective because it keeps the skin moisturized from the inside and out. The oil also increases the production of collagen which in turn helps stretch marks fade. To improve the appearance of stretch marks, you should use the oil at least twice every day in order to optimize skin elasticity and strength. Keeping the skin hydrated is the key to preventing stretch marks and there is no product that does this better than emu oil.