Getting a new tattoo is a lot of fun. You get to get something of fundamental value written permanently on your skin. However, how well you care for your tattoos will influence how well they look once they heal. So, in addition to finding the best tattoo artist, you need to find the best product for aftercare. One of the most promising remedies is emu oils. This is an oil extracted from the fat of an emu. It is preferred thanks to its healing properties resulting from its high levels of essential fatty acids.
After getting a new tattoo, you must clean the area carefully using hypoallergenic soap and warm water. You need to pat dry with a clean paper towel and always apply a layer of emu oils. The reason for using emu oil is that the oil is rich in linolenic, linoleic, and palmitoleic acids. These essential acids are effective in treating skin inflammation. Patients who use the oil experience less itching and faster healing. The oil also reduces the dryness, redness and pain. This makes emu oil a great alternative to other tattoo aftercare products. It is recommended for people with sensitive skin.
What should you avoid after getting a tattoo?
Even with emu oil speeding up the healing process, after getting a tattoo, you should avoid the following:
- Covering the new tattoo with a bandage after removing the first one. Your tattoo needs to breathe.
- Cleaning the area with harsh soap or using a fragrance with harsh chemicals.
- Touching or scratching the tattoo. This is an open wound and touching or scratching can cause infections or scars.
- Applying a petroleum-based moisturizer. This will clog the skin pores. To moisturize the area, use emu oil.
- Exposing the tattooed area to direct sunlight.
- Swimming or going to the sauna 6 weeks after getting the new tattoo. Wet tattoos do not heal well.
How long does it take for a tattoo to heal?
With proper care, the outer layer of the tattooed skin heals within 2 to 3 weeks. You should, however, continue with the aftercare routine for at least six months. It takes six months for the skin beneath the tattoo to heal completely. Prominent tattoos may take longer to heal. Avoid picking at scabs, as doing so will only prolong healing. Applying a gentle moisturizer like emu oil will help speed up healing and avoid scars.
There are many emu oil products available on the market. Only go for the 100% pure emu oils from reputable manufacturers.